One of my juniors from college called me today to ask about how he should make his resume. Abhishek is two years younger to me. We are from the same school. Now he is my college. He is a bright student, but very lazy. He is in his third year of bachelors in engineering and it’s time he should be prepared with his CV or resume for applying for the summer internships. However he has no idea about it.
I said, don’t worry, I’ll help you. He asked if I could show him my resume so he could make it accordingly. I said, “No, first you have to give it a try yourself. However I will tell you the basic things you need to keep in mind. Your resume will be in sections as follows:
- Always start with your name and contact details
- Then educational qualifications including your school, high school and college in a chronological order, that means the most recent qualification comes first
- Now comes the internships, mention each with your role, company’s name, time period, followed by responsibilities and skills acquired
- Now the section for academic projects and achievements
- This will follow your extra curricular activities and achievements
- Lastly include your hobbies and interests
Abhishek, don’t forget to add proper formatting to your resume. For the start, you could take the sample resume format Microsoft Word offers or create your own. It should go in an order and proper format”
He said it was a lot. So I gave him a day to come up with something. Then we could move on.
I am keeping in mind that his resume should be ready in a week. I am not revealing all the details and secrets to him at once because I want him to actually work on this and understand how resume building is an art, neither a cakewalk nor a mountain climb.
So this a 7 day challenge for us. I will share the progress each day with you guys. Lets see how it goes, it better not be a boring task. He doesn’t know about this blog post, haha!
If you have anything in mind, any suggestions, you can share. Thank you for reading.